Strange but true Mississippi River news of the week: Mayfly hatch along Mississippi River is visible on Doppler radar (click here).
The long-awaited Conservation Effects Assessment Project (CEAP) report for the Upper Mississippi River Basin was released by the USDA NRCS earlier this week. The CEAP report is available on this web page. Here is a link to view and download the PDF file. According to the report's Executive Summary, the "project was initiated to quantify existing ecological services derived from USDA conservation practices in the (Mississippi Alluvial Valley) as part of the USDA Conservation Effects Assessment Project, Wetlands Component (CEAP-Wetlands). The U. S. Geological Survey (USGS), in collaboration with the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, the USDA Farm Service Agency, the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and Ducks Unlimited, collected data on soils, vegetation, nitrogen cycling, migratory birds, and amphibians from 88 different sites between 2006 and 2008. Results from restored WRP sites were compared to baseline data from active agricultural cropland (AG) to evaluate changes in ecosystem services."
Notable @UpperMiss tweets for the week:
- Free USGS Webinar Short Course on Adaptive Management of Natural Resources, June 7-11; info & register: http://bit.ly/cxl9Z5
- Superweeds immune to Roundup could leave farmers using more of harsh older herbicides http://bit.ly/bjRMQ3
- Agroforestry (combining farming & trees) catching attention of more farmers; benefits farm economy & conservation http://bit.ly/akS73H
- USDA publishes final regulations governing Conservation Stewardship Program; promotes "greater environmental benefit" http://bit.ly/a77OTw
- USGS study: # of native fish & aquatic insects declines in urban & suburban streams at low levels of development http://bit.ly/a0qwIH
- Draining the prairie - ag boost or wetland bust? Farmers & conservation groups disagree on ag drainage practices http://bit.ly/crzmaT
- Army Corps to hold “scoping” meetings on its Missouri River Authorized Purposes Study http://bit.ly/bQrZbN
- American Rivers Most Endangered Rivers report released (Cedar River (IA) makes list from Mississippi R system) http://bit.ly/gDWWT
- Minneapolis makes #3 in US Green Roof Top 10 listing http://bit.ly/d9wYUh
- Senate Agriculture Committee Chair Blanche Lincoln sets agendas for 4 new Farm Bill hearings http://tinyurl.com/33ktvcm
- New Wisconsin marina rules and standards introduced http://bit.ly/9GJuIQ