There are six Congressional work weeks to go before its scheduled five-week summer recess, and all eyes on Capitol Hill are warily watching the slow pace at which spending bills are moving along (or not moving along, which is closer to reality). The House Appropriations Committee is considering one such spending bill of River relevance this Tuesday, and the Senate two. However, prospects continue to be poor that the regular processing of appropriation legislation will happen at a rate needed to meet a looming September 30 fiscal year deadline.
The U.S. EPA's new coal combustion waste disposal rule is one non-spending issue of River-region interest to be discussed this week (by members of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee). As early as next week, the House should schedule a vote on a bill to modify that rule somewhat (H.R. 1734 - introduced by West Virginia Republican Rep. David McKinley).
Links are provided to the relevant committee web pages, and, where appropriate, to pieces of legislation. Many Congressional proceedings are webcast live, and these should be, as well (follow the appropriate link). All times are Eastern. This page will be updated as warranted.
- House Appropriations Committee meeting to markup the Fiscal Year 2016 Interior and Environment Appropriations Bill (funding, in part, the Interior Department, USEPA, and U.S. Forest Service), 10:15 AM, room 2359 Rayburn House Office Building.
- Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Department of Homeland Security meeting to markup the "Fiscal Year 2016 Homeland Security Appropriations Bill" (funding, in part, the Federal Emergency Management Agency); 10:30 AM, room 138 Dirksen Senate Office Building (no meeting Internet link available yet).
- Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies meeting to markup "Fiscal Year 2016 Interior and Environment Appropriations Bill" (funding, in part, the Interior Department, USEPA, and U.S. Forest Service); 2:30 PM, room 124 Dirksen Senate Office Building (no meeting Internet link available yet).
- House Agriculture Committee business meeting to consider legislation, including H.R. 2647, the Resilient Federal Forests Act of 2015, as amended by the House Committee on Natural Resources; 10:00 AM, room 1300 Longworth House Office Building.
- Senate Environment and Public Works Committee oversight hearing to "examine the Environmental Protection Agency's final rule to regulate disposal of coal combustion residuals from electric utilities; 9:30 AM, room 406 Dirksen Senate Office Building.
- NEW - Senate Appropriations Committee meeting to markup the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2016, and the Homeland Security Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2016; 10:00 AM, room 106, Dirksen Senate Office Building.
- House Appropriations Subcommittee on Agriculture meeting to mark up fiscal year 2016 spending bill for the Agriculture Department and Food and Drug Administration; 10:30 AM, room 2362-A Rayburn House Office Building.
- Senate Homeland Security Subcommittee on Regulatory Affairs and Federal Management hearing "Re-examining EPA’s Management of the Renewable Fuel Standard Program" (EPA's proposed mandates for blending ethanol and other alternative fuels into the national gasoline and diesel supply); 9:30 AM, room 342 Dirksen Senate Office Building.
- Senate Energy and Natural Resources Subcommittee on Water and Power legislative hearing on several pieces of legislation, including: S. 593, the Bureau of Reclamation Transparency Act; and S. 982, the Water Rights Protection Act; 2:00 PM, room 366 Dirksen Senate Office Building.