On the Congressional committee front, the "Waters of the United States" rule resurfaces as a popular hearing topic, following an intermission that's lasted a few weeks. And the Endangered Species Act and pipeline safety - topical in the Midwest and Plains states - take center stage before two Senate subcommittees. Below are all of the U.S. House and Senate activities currently scheduled for the week that relate to Mississippi River Basin natural resources. Links are provided to the relevant committee web pages and appropriate pieces of legislation. Many Congressional proceedings are webcast live, and these may be, as well (follow the respective meeting or hearing link). All times are Eastern. This information will be updated as warranted.
- House Agriculture Committee Subcommittee on Biotechnology, Horticulture and Research hearing to highlight research innovations achieved by our nation’s agricultural colleges and universities; 10:00 AM, room 1300 Longworth House Office Building.
- House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Federal Land oversight hearing on Federal Forest Management; 10:30 AM, room 1334 Longworth House Office Building.
- Senate Environment and Public Works (EPW) Subcommittee on Fisheries, Water, and Wildlife briefing for all EPW Committee Members entitled, “Improving the Endangered Species Act: Perspectives from the Fish and Wildlife Service and State Governors;” 2:00 PM, room 406 Dirksen Building.
- Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security hearing to examine pipeline safety, focusing on oversight of our nation's pipeline network; 2:30 PM, room 253 Russell Senate Office Building.
- Senate Environment and Public Works Subcommittee on Fisheries, Wildlife, and Water hearing entitled, “Oversight of the Army Corps of Engineers’ Participation in the Development of the New Regulatory Definition of “Waters of the United States;” 10:00 AM, room 406 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building.
- House Natural Resources Committee oversight hearing on "Respecting State Authority, Responsibilities and Expertise Regarding Resource Management and Energy Development;" 10:00 AM, room 1324 Longworth House Office Building (hearing will examine the role states play in managing natural resources and energy development).