House leaders believe that they are close to lining up the 218 member votes needed to pass a comprehensive five-year farm bill, and House Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA-7) has placed the House version of the bill on this week's House calendar. Debate will likely begin on Tuesday or Wednesday and run through at least Thursday. House Agriculture Committee Chair Frank Lucas (R-OK-3) said on Saturday that he expects from 30 to 60 amendments to be considered. Cantor said on the House floor last week that he believes the House will end up having a considerable debate on "all subject matter in the bill," with some of the major areas ripe for debate being food stamps (SNAP), sugar and dairy support, conservation and crop insurance. An update posted last Friday by the House Rules Committee schedules an "emergency" 5 PM, meeting today (Monday) to consider the farm bill, during which the Committee will set the rules for the bill debate. The Committee will meet again on Tuesday to set the amendment limits. The Rules Committee Internet page for the farm bill can be found here, where the Monday amendment submission deadline and a list of currently-submitted amendments can be viewed. Here is a link to the latest 2013 farm bill status in the Senate and House, and our routinely-updated farm bill resources list.
- House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Public Lands and Environmental Regulation oversight hearing on “Citizen and Agency Perspectives on the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act;” 10:00 AM; room 1324 Longworth House Office Building
- House Appropriations Energy and Water Development Subcommittee Mark Up - FY 2014 Energy and Water Appropriations Bill; 10:30 AM; room 2362-B Rayburn House Office Building
- Senate Appropriations Agriculture, Rural Development, and Food and Drug Administration Subcommittee business meeting to markup proposed legislation making appropriations for agriculture programs for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2014; 10:00 AM; room SD-192 Dirksen Senate Office Building
- House Energy and Commerce full committee markup and vote on H.R. 2218, the “Coal Residuals Reuse and Management Act of 2013;" Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 4:00 PM and Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 10:00 AM; room 2123 Rayburn House Office Building (legislation to pre-empt U.S. EPA's ongoing rulemaking on power plant combustion waste)
- House Energy and Commerce full committee markup and vote on H.R. 2218, the “Coal Residuals Reuse and Management Act of 2013;" 10:00 AM; room 2123 Rayburn House Office Building (see above)
- House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Fisheries, Wildlife, Oceans and Insular Affairs oversight hearing on "Why Does the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Want to Expand the Boundaries of the Chickasaw and Lower Hatchie National Wildlife Refuges in Tennessee and at What Cost?” 9:30 AM; room 1324 Longworth House Office Building
- Senate Appropriations Committee meeting re: Adoption of the FY 2014 Spending Allocations and Markup of the FY 2014 Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies; and Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Bills; 10:30 AM; room SD-106 Dirksen Senate Office Building